With regard to a Middle School Music Curriculum, “performing”
is an artistic process that embraces 5 critical elements:
1) Selecting... artistic works or repertoire to perform
2) Analyzing... structure and composition
3) Interpreting... the expressive intent of the composer
4) Rehearsing/Evaluating/Refining... all the details and nuances of each selection through independently developed cognitive knowledge and motor skills.
5) Presenting... the selections that are sufficiently prepared to be ‘brought back to life’ for an assembled audience
Develop strength, awareness and control of their unique vocal instrument.
Analyze and discuss the physical process of singing
Learn rehearsal techniques that will contribute to a balanced, aesthetically-pleasing ensemble sound
Read music and develop independent musicianship
Learn performance techniques and practices for varied repertoire
Question and discuss music in regards to the aesthetic process
Develop a mind-body connection to singing, demonstrating energy and expression through song
Develop the skills of teamwork, trust, responsibility and respect and discuss how these would impact every musician